This study examined the profitability index of Dates trade among wholesales in Kano State Nigeria. A total of 30 questionnaires were distributed randomly in proportion to the total number of wholesalers in each of the purposively selected markets located in the State. Data collected were subjected to descriptive and inferential statistical analysis. The study indicated that over 97% of the respondents were in their productive years of age. Half (50%) of the respondents belong to the Hausa ethnic group. The highest form of educational qualification obtained by 66.67% of the respondents was primary school leaving certificate. The rest (33.33%) had either Quaranic education or no form of education at all. Most (70%) of the respondents were married and more than half (53.33%) of the respondents maintained a large family size of not less than five in number The study further revealed that an average of 6580kg of Dates was traded/month, the average cost price was 118.33/kg while the average selling price was 129.33/kg. Profitability indices such as; average revenue and average Net Income (NI) were estimated to be N799,680.00 and N673,591.71 respectively. The rate (534.22%) of return on investment was high. The regression result shows that Revenue, transportation cost, storage cost and loading and off-loading significantly affect Net Income (NI) while the calculated Gini-coefficient (GC) of 0.44 indicated that the market was dominated by a few marketers.
Armstrong, J. S. (2012): "Illusions in Regression Analysis". International Journal of Forecasting (forthcoming) 28 (3): 689.
Arnold, M. J. E., Kohlin, G., and Persson, R. 2006: Woodfuels, Livelihoods, and Policy Interventions: Changing Perspectives. World Development 34 (3): 596-611.
David A. F. (2005): Statistical Models: Theory and Practice, Cambridge University Press.
F. A. O 2002: FAO Corporate Document Repository. The marketing potential of date palm fruits in the European market. International Date Palm Forum, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 15-17, 2002.
F. A. O. 2000: Study of the main European markets for dates and the commercial potential of non–traditional varieties, Rome, Italy. Pp. 110 – 290.
Farris, P. W.; Neil T. B; Phillip E. P. and David J. R. (2010): Marketing Metrics: The Definitive Guide to Measuring Marketing Performance.
Hyuha, T. S. (2006): Profit Efficiency among Rice Producers in Eastern and Northern Uganda. Ph.D. Thesis in the School of Graduate Studies. Makerere University, 46 pp.
Lorenzo, G. B. and Paolo L. (2006): "Inequality Analysis – The Gini Index". Food and Agriculture Organization, United Nations.
Mamman, A. B. 2000: Nigeria, A people united, A future assured. Vol. 2. Survey of States Edited By Mamman, A. B.; Oyebanji, J. O. and Petters, S. W. Millenium Edition. Produced by Gabumo Publishing Company Limited. Published by Federal Ministry of Information, Abuja.
NPC 2006: Nigeria Population Commission. List of Nigerian States by population – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/list of Nigerian states by population.
Oguniyi, L. T. (2011): Profit Efficiency among Maize Producers in Oyo State, Nigeria. Journal of Agricultural and Biological Science, 6:11- 13.
Olukosi J. O. and Erhabor, P. O. (2005): Introduction to Farm Management Economic Principles and Application. Agifab Publications Zaria, Nigeria. ISBN: 978-2675- 12-1 pp. 77-83.
Orefi, A. and Denomongo, J. A. (2011): Opportunities for Smallholder Spinach Farmers in Nigeria. A Profit Function Analysis. Journal of Economics, 2(2): 75-79.
Praveen, K. V. 2012: Date Fruits (Phoenix dactylifera Linn). An Emerging Medicinal Food. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition Vol. 52, (3): 249 – 71.
The Date (2015): “The Date, Phoenix dacty lifera". Accessed August, 2015.
Vasant, M.S. 2007: Slice of the day. htm Date Palm (phoenix dactylifera). Pp 1 - 6.