Welcome to Open Science
Contact Us
Home Books Journals Submission Open Science Join Us News
Effectiveness of the Influenza Vaccine 2016-2017 Against Seasonal Infection in Japan
Current Issue
Volume 4, 2017
Issue 1 (February)
Pages: 1-5   |   Vol. 4, No. 1, February 2017   |   Follow on         
Paper in PDF Downloads: 24   Since Oct. 19, 2017 Views: 1136   Since Oct. 19, 2017
Authors
[1]
Jin-Ichi Sasaki, Junior College Emergency Medical Technology, Hirosaki University of Health and Welfare, Hirosaki, Japan.
[2]
Toshiko Nakajima, Health Care Center, Hirosaki University of Health and Welfare, Hirosaki, Japan.
Abstract
Influenza vaccinated students at the University in Japan were subjected for evaluation of effectiveness/ineffective studies. Vaccine 2016-2017 was consisted of the influenza A (H1N1, H3 N2) viruses and influenza B (Yamagata, Victoria) viruses. Influenza A viruses were predominantly circulated at that period in Japan. All 39 students were vaccinated as a group in autumn, and the vaccinated twenty seven students were protected from Influenza illness at 70% rate (27/39) by 4 valents vaccine, and the rest 30% (12/39) were infected with influenza virus. Influenza A viruses were isolated from 11 students (91.6%) and one of influenza B viruses (8.3%) was isolated from the infected students. Infection preventive potency of the vaccine 2016-2017 was at 70% in our study. It was higher in the infection preventive ability than that of CDC estimation at 50%.
Keywords
Influenza Vaccine 2016-2017, Vaccine Effectiveness/Ineffectiveness, Field Work Analysis 2017, University Students
Reference
[1]
Jill Ferdinands: Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness, 2016-17 US Flu VE Effectiveness NetWork & US Hospitalized Adult Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness Net Work (HAIVEN). CDC 24/7. Saving Lives, Protcting PeopleTM.
[2]
Lenee Blanton, Noreen Alabi, Desiree Mustaquim, Calli Taylor, Krista Kniss, Natalie Kramer, Alicia Budd, Shikha Garg, Charisse N Cummings, Jessi Chung, Brendan Flannery, Alicia M Fry, Wendy Sessions< Rebecca Garten, Xiyan Xu, Anwar Isa Abd Elal, Larisa Gubareva, John Barnes, Vivien Dungan, David E Wentworth, Erin Burns MA, Jacqueline Katz, Daniel Jernigan, Lynnette Brammer: Update Influenza Activity in the United States During the 2016-17 Season and Composition of the 2017-18 Influenza Vaccine. Weekly/June 30, 2017/66 (25); 668-676.
[3]
CDC 24/7: Saving Lives, Protecting PeopleTM, Flu Vaccine Nearly 60 Percent Effective. February 21, 2017 01:26 pm News Staff-The CDC issued a Morbidity and Mortality Weekly.
[4]
Jackson ML, Chung JR, Jackson LA, Phillips CH, Benoit J, Monto AS, Martin EA, Belongia EA, McLean HQ, Gaglani M, Murthy K, Zimmermank R, Nowalk MP, Fry AM, Flannery B: Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness in the United State during 2015-2016 Season. N Engl J Med, 377 (6): 534-543, Aug 10, 2017.
[5]
Jill Ferdinands: Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness, 2016-17. Meeting of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices Network.
[6]
Tokyo Metropolitan Infectious Disease Surveillance Center: Report on Vaccine for 2016-2017.
[7]
WHO 2 March 2017; Vaccine for use in the 2017-2018 northern hemisphere influenza season.
[8]
NID (National Institute of Infectious Diseases Japan): Isolation/detection of influenza virus in Japan, week 36/2016-31/2017 (as of August 6, 2017).
[9]
Fiore AE, Brifges CB, Cox NJ: Seasonal influenza vaccine. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 333: 43-82. 2009.
[10]
Huong Q McLean, Herve Caspard, Marie R Griffin, Katherine A Pochling: Effectiveness of live attenuated influenza vaccine and inactivated influenza vaccine in children during the 2014-2015 season. Vaccine, vol 35 Issue 20, 9 May 2017, 2685-2693.
[11]
Jon Cohen: Why flu vaccine so often fail. Science AAAS, Sep. 20, 2017.
[12]
Karen Sokal-Gutierrez: Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness in the United States-2015/16 Season. NEJM Resident 360.
Open Science Scholarly Journals
Open Science is a peer-reviewed platform, the journals of which cover a wide range of academic disciplines and serve the world's research and scholarly communities. Upon acceptance, Open Science Journals will be immediately and permanently free for everyone to read and download.
CONTACT US
Office Address:
228 Park Ave., S#45956, New York, NY 10003
Phone: +(001)(347)535 0661
E-mail:
LET'S GET IN TOUCH
Name
E-mail
Subject
Message
SEND MASSAGE
Copyright © 2013-, Open Science Publishers - All Rights Reserved