Black cumin seed for local consumption and other importance, such as oil and oil rosin for medicinal purposes, export market, crop diversification, income generation, reducing the risk of crop failure and others made black cumin as a best alternative crop under Ethiopian smaller land holdings. Thus, for sustainable use of this crop, the producers demand for conservation through utilization needs economic value estimation. Therefore, the objective of this study was to estimate households’ willingness to pay (WTP) value for conservation black cumin and analyze the determining factors that affects willingness of households to participate in the conservation of black cumin in the study area. To attain the stated objectives contingent valuation survey questionnaires were distributed to elicit farmers WTP for improved conservation of black cumin. A total of 180 households’ were randomly selected from 8 kebeles of two Woredas of the study Zone. The result indicated that 172 (95.55%) were willing to pay, while the rest 8 (4.44%) were not willing to pay (contribute) for black cumin conservation. Logistic regression model result shows that the statistically significant determinants of WTP for the participation in black cumin conservation in the study area were availability of labor for farm activities, distance from market, households’ livestock holding, initial BID1 offered and productivity of the land at 5% significance level, and total farm l income and perception about the importance of black cumin conservation at 1% level. The mean willingness to pay for the sampled respondents was 85.32 ($213.30) labour day per year. Hence, the aggregate economic value of black cumin conservation is 3,119,469.84 ($7,798,674.57) person days per annum. Therefore, policy should give emphases at all levels for production, conservation and sustainable utilization of black cumin farm variety.
Black Cumin, Economic Value, WTP, Conservation, Ethiopia
Alemu, M. (2000). “Valuation of Community forestry in Ethiopia: A Contingent Valuation Study of Rural Households”, Environment and Development Economics. 5: 289-308.
Aminpour and Karimi (2004). Underutilized medicinal spices. Spice India. 17 (12): 5-7.
Ashraf M, Orooj A. (2006). Salt stress effects on growth, ion accumulation and seed oil concentration in an arid zone traditional medicinal plant ajowan (Trachypermum ammi [L.] Sprague). J. Arid Environ. 64 (2): 209-220.
Atta, M. B. (2003). Some characteristics of Nigella (Nigella sativa L.) seed cultivated in Egypt and its lipid profile. Food Chem. 83: 63–68.
Black M, Bewley D, Halmer (2005). The Encyclopedia of seed science, technology and uses. wallinoford. CAB P 7.
Burits, M. and Bucar. F. (2000). Antioxidant activity of Nigella sativa essential oil. Phytother. Res. 14: 323–328.
BZADO (2012). Bale zone administrative and development office, Bale, Ethiopia.
Ethiopian Investment Agency. (2015). Investment opportunity Profile for Spice Processing in Ethiopia. 7: 8-14.
Habtewold K. Demes F. Tewodros L. Dejene B. Haimanot M. and Wakjira G. (2017). Seed Spices Production Guideline: Ethiopian institute of agricultural Research.
Håkansson C (2008) A new valuation question: analysis of and insights from interval open-ended data in contingent valuation. Environ Resour Econ 39: 175–188.
Hanemann, M. (1984). Welfare Evaluation in Contingent Valuation Experiments with Discrete Responses. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 66, 332-41.
Hedberge I, Edwards S, Sileshi Nemomissa (eds) (2003). Flora of Ethiopia and Eriteria. Vol 4 (2), Apiaceae to Dipsaceae. The Natural Herbarium. Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa and Uppsala. P. 21.
Orgut (2007). Market Assessment Study, Ethiopian Nile Irrigation and Drainage Project, Main Report and Annexes, Ministry Of Water Resources, Addis Ababa.
Ostlund, R. E. (2002). Phytosterols in human nutrition. Ann. Rev. Nutr. 22: 533–549.
Yazachew, a. (2011). Comparative study of supercritical fluid and solvent extraction. Addis Ababa 67: 61-80.
Shewaye L (2011). Antifungal Substances from Essential Oils. M.Sc. Thesis. Addis Ababa University. p. 8.
Yosef, H. H., (2008). Effect of high levels of nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizer on growth, yield and yield components of Nigella sativa L. Horticulture Department College of Agriculture, Duhok University, Iraq, Mesopotamia Journal Agriculture.